Our eyes need to be treated well with proper care and when neglected it causes a lot of problems and gives rise to various eye diseases. We often end up visiting the eye clinic in Dubai a lot of times to get our eyes checked in order to prevent diseases. One of the eye diseases that commonly occur in the teens or early 20s is keratoconus.
What is Keratoconus?
This is a progressive eye disease that normally occurs around the cornea where it thins and gradually bulges outward into a cone-like shape. This cone-shaped cornea causes blurred vision and may cause sensitivity to light and glare. It ends up deflecting the light as it enters the eye that was leading to the light-sensitive retina, hence causing distorted vision.
This is known to affect either one or both eyes and often begins during a person’s teens or early 20s and prolongs for 10 years or longer. During the early stages of this condition, your eye specialist will correct vision problems with glasses or soft contact lenses. But gradually when this reaches a situation where glasses won’t work, you may have to be fitted with rigid, gas permeable contact lenses or other types of lenses. And lastly, when your condition progresses to an advanced stage, you may need a cornea transplant and get a keratoconus treatment done.
What Are The Symptoms Of Keratoconus?
The symptoms of Keratoconus keep differing gradually as the disease progresses. Some of the most common symptoms are:
– There will be an increase in sensitivity towards bright light and glare which can end up causing a problem with driving during the night.
– Causes progressive nearsightedness and irregular astigmatism.
– Patients will also experience sudden worsening or clouding of their vision.
– Patients will also notice frequent changes in their eyeglass prescription every time they visit their eye specialist.
What Causes Keratoconus?
There are many studies that haven’t yet found a solid cause or reason for keratoconus. But it mostly develops due to genetic and environmental factors.
– Many eye doctors claim that excessive rubbing of the eyes can also give rise to this disease.
– The weakening of the corneal tissue leading to keratoconus due to an imbalance of enzymes within the cornea.
– This often affects more than one member of the same family, hence coming under the genetic factor.
– Sometimes, having certain conditions like Down syndrome, hay fever, asthma etc can give rise to this disease
– History of poorly fitted contact lenses and chronic eye irritation.
Sometimes, during the early stages of keratoconus, eyeglasses or contact lens could help. But gradually, as the disease progresses and the cornea starts thinning, becoming increasingly more irregular in shape, glasses and regular soft contact lens designs no longer provide adequate vision correction. The eye specialist will then ask the patient to undergo a keratoconus treatment.
If you’re experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, then it is highly recommended to visit your eye-specialist in Dubai to undergo a keratoconus treatment.